What is Worship?
Here at Harvest, our worship is expressed by what we say, sing and the way we live. Our Worship Ministry includes singing and playing instruments, but is not limited to that. We do not believe that music in a church service is, in and of itself, worship, but one tool we can use to worship our Creator. However, we do believe that singing praise to God is a command to all (Psalm 66:1-2) and is a powerful way to respond to our God and King.
The message that our music and songs communicate is of utmost importance to us. Whether our music is sometimes loud or soft, fast or slow, new or old, with a full band or without, matters little in comparison to the message of the song.
It is important to us that the songs accurately reflect the Scriptures. In particular, we hope to express the triune nature of our God as we respond to the glorious gospel of the Son. Though we believe our enjoyment of God brings Him glory, praise is not ultimately about what we want, need, desire or prefer. Worship is an end in itself. We don’t worship to raise money, attract crowds or improve church morale. Should we worship for these reasons, then it ceases to be worship. He is our satisfaction.
Director of Worship
Serving in the Worship Ministry
Here are a few steps and some things you should know before filling out a music application.
- You must be able to take honest feedback during your initial meeting with our staff.
- You must be a believer in Jesus Christ and Harvest must be your home church. No exceptions. (That is, you must be a member or in the process of becoming a member to serve.)
- We need faithful players and singers who will be willing to play at least once a month.
- We need volunteers in all areas of ministry: Weekend Adult Services, as well as Youth . We only have a certain amount of positions available in each ministry.
- Though we will place you in a certain ministry, it doesn’t guarantee you will stay in that ministry. It is up to that ministry leader to decide whether you are capable and trustworthy enough to serve in that specific role.
Steps to Follow:
- Become a believer in Jesus Christ.
- Attend a Discover Harvest event.
- Decide if Harvest is your home church. To even be considered for singing or playing an instrument in any area of the Worship Ministry you must be a believer in Jesus Christ and a member of Harvest.
- Fill out the Worship Volunteer Application and e-mail it to Mark Sylvester or hand it to him on a Sunday morning
- Mark will contact you within a few weeks to set up a date and time for you to meet in order to play/sing in a formal audition.